Monday, December 10, 2007


There is hope for the country's most successful and popular club Big Bullets, who are fast descending into extinction due to financial constraints.
The hope comes hot on the heels of a meeting held by the team's top brass on Wednesday at Alendo Hotel in Blantyre.

Former chairman Sunduzwayo Madise, who was appointed spokesperson of the meeting, Thursday said the meeting, which drew 20 people including high profile figures came up with short and long term resolution to save the team.
Madise said the short-term solution would take into account the team's needs for the remaining three games.
The long-term plans will see the team coming up with solutions to meet outstanding arrears for the players.
"Bullets will not die all we are asking is for well-wishers to contribute money or come up with ideas which can make help us to raise money," Madise said.
He said the meeting raised K104,000 towards the assistance of the team.
He said as a grouping of well-wishers their main interest was to assist the executive committee for the good of the team.
"There's an executive committee in place and we don't want to work as a parallel committee to them," he said.
A top official who also attended the meeting but spoke on conditions of anonymity said there was no way they could sit and watch Bullets die.
"We will come up with solutions to save the team, we can't just let the team die," he said. "We should come up with something good for the club after the next meeting on Sunday."
Among the people who attended the meeting were former chairmen Rashid Nembo, Yusuf Matumula, former general secretaries Harry Mtuwa and Willie Phalula and former treasurers Gideon Kalumbu and Mankhamba Phiri.
Phalula and former vice-general Joseph Kamkwasi conceived the idea for the former officials and players to meet.
Akon due in court this morning; media starting to arrive

Akon arrived at the Town of Fishkill Police Department to be processed in advance of a scheduled 9 a.m. court appearance .

Akon arrived at about 8:20 a.m. in a black Cadillac Escalade SUV. He is due in court to answer charges related to his tossing a fan into the audience at Dutchess Stadium in June.

Check back later for more details.

The controversial singer Akon is due in Town of Fishkill Court this morning at 9 a.m. to answer charges stemming from the incident at KFEST in June when he tossed a teenager off the stage.

The Journal first reported the charges Thursday and media outlets from around the world picked up the story. One major television station satellite truck just arrived in the parking lot of Fishkill Court, but the parking lot remains devoid of a media crush.

Charges of endagering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, and second-degree harrasment, a violation, have been filed against Akon. On June 3 at Dutchess Stadium, security guards plucked a fan out of the audience and handed him over to Akon, who picked him and tossed him back into the crowd. Other fans said Akon was provoked by somebody who threw something at him.

KFEST is an annual concert at Dutchess Stadium held by WSPK (104.7 FM), known as K104. To read the whole story, click on the link to the right.

Check back to later this morning to track this developing story.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home