Wednesday, November 21, 2007

turkey recipe

Alexander Dumas immortalized the Count of Monte Cristo. But the name took on new personality when this combination found its way onto modern restaurant menus. The original recipe used 2 bread slices, is quartered and is deep fried after soaking, French toast style, in the egg mixture. This much lower fat version is a great way to use up leftover turkey and ham from the holidays – in fact, it's so special, it's like celebrating the holiday all over again!



Makes 3 sandwiches:

6 slices bread (or small waffles)

2 slices Swiss cheese for each sandwich

Ham slice for each sandwich

Sliced turkey for each sandwich

3 eggs

1/3 cup milk

¼ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter or margarine for frying

Condiments: Powdered sugar, strawberry jam, sour cream, syrup, currant jelly, cranberry sauce



Make sandwiches: Lay 2 slices of bread on plate. Place a slice of cheese on one slice of bread, then layer ham slice, turkey slice and top with second slice of cheese and other slice of bread. Remove crusts with kitchen shears or a sharp knife.

Continue with remaining sandwiches.

Beat eggs, milk and salt together. Place in a shallow container. Melt butter or margarine in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Dip sandwiches in egg-milk mixture, turning to coat evenly. Sautέ in melted butter, turning as is necessary until golden brown on all sides. It should be completely cooked.

Cut in halves or quarters. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, if desired. Serve with strawberry jam, sour cream, syrup, your favorite jelly, cranberry sauce, etc.



Alternate Method:

Using 6 slices of bread, make 2 triple-decker sandwiches – place ham and turkey on one slice, top with bread; cheese on that slice and top with third slice. Remove crusts. Cut into quarters, place toothpicks in carefully and dip into egg mixture. Sautέ as above, except make sure to cook on sides as well as top and bottom. Remove toothpicks. Serve with condiments as mentioned above. FARMINGTON — Many people can name a favorite soft drink to enjoy with their Thanksgiving meal. Josiah Manz enjoys it on his meal.
It's not likely the 6-year-old Ladera Del Norte Elementary School kindergartner's turkey recipe will be included anytime soon in a Martha Stewart cookbook. It recommends using a little salt, a little vinegar and just a touch of "Pepsi" to liven up a turkey dinner.

The recipes given by Robin Hunt's kindergarten class at Ladera Del Norte may not be for everyone. Take Kalei Taylor's suggestion of using chocolate chips and cinnamon on the turkey. It's definitely a departure from standard holiday cuisine.

Meanwhile, students like 5-year-old Philip Lehrman take normal Thanksgiving ingredients and use them in creative, if not excessive, ways. The chef within Lehrman said butter is the best thing to use to stuff a turkey. But just one stick won't do, he said.

"I would put five sticks of butter in there," Philip said.

Soda condiments and massive amounts of butter may sound like the suggestions


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
of individual children with wild imaginations. But many kindergartners made very similar recommendations.
Jayden Tallman thinks root beer goes better on turkey. And more than few children recommended dumping hot sauce on the stuffed bird.

These kids are serious about what constitutes a perfect holiday dish and wanted to share. Bon Appétite.

Turkey Recipes

Robin Hunt's

Kindergarten Class: Ladera Del Norte

Elementary — Farmington

You buy a turkey at the store, then you cook it. I just cook it.

Cloe Fortier-King


I'm going to get it from the store, and I am going to put it in the oven; then, we can have some fun on Thanksgiving when we eat it.

Coule Dale


My mom will cook it for me. My mom bakes it in the oven until it's done to eat. The oven's not very hot; it's just hot when it comes on, I think.

Andrew Ely


I hunt it down. Pull out all the feathers. Then, I put it in the oven. When it's done, I take it out and put spices on it — probably, like salt. That's all.

Martiana Begay


Buy it at the store. Put it in the fridge. Take it out and wash it at the sink. Just cook it outside on a campfire. Cook it for 60 hours.

Averie Montano


Use salt, vinegar and a little dab of Pepsi, probably. Use cooking oil to put on the pan —not real oil 'cause that would blow people up, probably. I get my turkey from a farmer who didn't want it anymore. It is fresh. I would cook it in my kitchen for 11 hours.

Josiah Manz


I would stuff it with butter and nuts. Then, I would put artichoke on it. Put hot butter that was melted on the top. Cook it into the oven for four hours.

Philip Lehrman


Probably get it from Wal-Mart. I would put 1 2 teaspoon salt in it and 1 2 teaspoon pepper. Put butter in it; that way, it won't stick. I'd cook it in a pot at my house in the kitchen on the stove for three hours.

Conner Granillo


We didn't get a turkey yet but use chocolate chips and cookies and cinnamon and sprinkles. Use chiles, too. Then go get a turkey and cook it on that day. Cook it in the oven with the cookies and put berries in it for four minutes.

Kalei Taylor


We never get turkey; I don't know. To cook one, use sauce and jelly. Put nuggets with it. Use chicken, too. Put it on the grill for about 30 minutes.

Josh Larby


Get it at the store probably, or maybe ... I think we might be having turkey in Rico (Colo.). I'm going to cook it with a stove, of course. Put oil on it, and then I'm going to put some grease. Then cook it on the stove for ... I think like ... 20 minutes or so.

Orion Dees


Get it at the store — Wal-mart. I put ingredients, and I put spice on it. Then I put on hot sauce all over it; cause, I like it on it. Cook it my stove for 30 minutes — I mean a minute and a half.

Damien Lopez


I like to put hot sauce on it. I like salt on it and pepper. I like to have it with water. I cut it up; then, I cook it in the oven for 50 minutes.

Zoie Herring


Get it at Safeway. Put spice on it. I don't know anything else. Cook it in the oven for 20 minutes.

Bree Puryear


I kill it in the forest. I put some kind of grease on it, and I put some root beer on it. Then, I put it in the oven for, I'd say, 50 hours. Then when you get it out, it's done.

Jayden Tallman


I got my turkey in Phoenix. I put a little bit of salt in it and pepper. I cook it for 30 seconds on the stove.

Isaac Gurrola


Go hunt it out. I will shoot it; then, I will take it. Cut the skin off and take all the feathers off. I put some spicy salt on it. Then, I put it in the oven for 30 minutes. Then, I put hot sauce on it.

Jaren Ulibarri



I'm going to get the tukey from my mom. Put salt and pepper on it — a lots of salt and pepper and salsa. Bake it in the oven for 50 minutes.

Garrett Stansel


We just find it at the store, and we just get it. Then we add some like this kind of little sauce into it, and it tastes real good. Then we put some pepper sauce on it, and it's goooooood!! Cook it in the oven for like 12 hours.

Dawson Christy
tablespoons olive oil

1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped

1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped

3 Yukon gold potatoes, cooked till just tender and diced

?pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)

2 garlic cloves, minced

16 to 20 large eggs

1?cups coarsely grated Fontina or Cheddar cheese

?cup grated Parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

1 pound crumbled turkey sausage or ground turkey, well browned, or ?to 2 cups diced cooked turkey meat.

1. Preheat broiler. Broil 3 bell peppers on pan 5 inches from heat, turning every so often until skins are charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to paper or plastic bag, seal and let stand 10 minutes. Peel peppers, seed, and puree in food processor with a tablespoon of the olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.

2. Reduce oven heat to 450 degrees.

3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large (14-inch) nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions, parboiled diced potatoes and chopped bell peppers and saut?until onions are nearly soft. Add green beans, if you like. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until green beans are nearly tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add turkey and cook a few minutes more, stirring once or twice.

4. Whisk together eggs, garlic, Parmesan cheese, ?cup Fontina or Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add vegetables and meat and mix well.

5. Pour egg mixture into pan and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over top. Cook over medium-high heat without stirring, about 3 to 5 minutes, just until edges are slightly set.

6. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until center is set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen frittata. Take a wide spatula and slide it underneath to release the frittata from the pan. Then lift the pan and flip the frittata onto a platter. Place a serving platter over the flipped frittata and flip it back onto the serving platter.

7. Spoon the red pepper pur閑 in a ring around the center of the frittata. Slice and serve. /4 cup artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained

1/4 cup ripe black olives, well drained and sliced

grated Parmesan cheese, to taste.

To make the sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions, carrots and garlic until tender. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and herbs. Raise heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, then process in food processor (or a blender) until the sauce is only slightly chunky.

To prepare the eggs: Beat the eggs (with salt and pepper if desired). For each omelet, pour 1/2 cup of the egg mixture into a hot buttered skillet. Cook until egg is almost set. Spoon 1/4 cup mesquite-smoked turkey breast, 1/4 cup artichoke hearts and 1 tablespoon sliced olives on half of the omelet. Fold the omelet over the filling and transfer to a serving plate. Cover each omelet with 1/3 cup of the sauce. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.


Yield: 8 servings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home